Articles on Line
Best Management Practices
- Are there win-win strategies for minimising greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture? - ABARE Outlook Conference Paper
- The abatement challenge for agriculture. Paper prepared for the Garnaut Climate Change Review public forum, Climate Change: Land management, agriculture and forestry, 17 August 2007.
- Physical versus political and peripheral impacts of climate change on the dairy industry. Proceedings of the Australian Dairy Conference, Launceston, Tasmania, February 2008.
- Emissions Trading – a challenge or opportunity for the Dairy Industry? Proceedings of the Australian Dairy Conference, Launceston, Tasmania, February 2008.
- Carbon credits in the vineyard – fact of fiction? In: Footprints, food miles and furphies. Proceeding Australian Society of Viticulture and Oenology Seminar. Sebel Playford, Adelaide, September 2008.
- Greenhouse emissions from livestock and fertiliser and implications for a National Emissions Trading Scheme. Agriculture and Greenhouse Emissions Trading Summit. Maroochydore. Qld, 2008.
- De Klein C.A.M. and Eckard R.J. (2008). Targeted Technologies for nitrous oxide abatement from Animal Agriculture. Special Edition: Proceedings of the 3rd Greenhouse Gases and Animal Agriculture Conference. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 48 (2) 14-20. doi: 10.1071/EA07217.
- Eckard R.J., Chen D., White R.E. and Chapman D.F. (2003). Gaseous nitrogen loss from temperate grass and clover dairy pastures in south eastern Australia. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 54 (6): 561-570. doi: 10.1071/AR02100
- Eckard R.J., Grainger C., de Klein C.A.M. (2009) Options for the abatement of methane and nitrous oxide from ruminant production: A Review. Livestock Science (in press).
- Eckard R.J., Johnson I., Chapman D.F. (2006) Modelling nitrous oxide abatement strategies in intensive pasture systems. International Congress Series 1293 (2006) 76-85. doi: 10.1016/j.ics.2006.01.027.
- Galbally, I. Meyer C., Bentley S., Weeks I., Leuning R., Kelly K., Phillips F., Barker-Reid F., Gates W., Baigent R., Eckard R., Grace P., (2005) A study of environmental and management drivers of non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions in Australian agro-ecosystems. Environmental Sciences June-September 2005. 2(2-3):133-142.
- Grainger C., Clark T., McGinn S. M., Auldist M.J., Beauchemin K. A., Hannah M.C., Waghorn G.C., Clark H. and Eckard R.J. (2007) Methane emissions from dairy cows measured using the sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) tracer and chamber techniques. Journal of Dairy Science 90: 2755–2766 (doi:10.3168/jds.2006-697).
- Grainger C, Clarke T, Beauchemin K.A., McGinn S.M. and Eckard R.J. (2008). Supplementation with whole cottonseed reduces methane emissions and can profitably increase milk production of dairy cows offered a forage and cereal grain diet. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 48 (2) 73-76. DOI: 10.1071/EA07224.
- Grainger C, Clarke T and Eckard R.J. (2008) Effect of whole cottonseed supplementation on energy and nitrogen partitioning and rumen function in dairy cattle on a forage and cereal grain diet. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture, 48, 860-865. DOI: 10.1071/EA07400
- Grainger C., Auldist M.J., Clarke T., Beauchemin K.A., McGinn S.M., Hannah M.C., Eckard R.J. and Lowe L.B. (2008) Use of Monensin Controlled-Release Capsules to Reduce Methane Emissions and Improve Milk Production of Dairy Cows Offered Pasture Supplemented with Grain Journal of Dairy Science 91:1159–1165. doi:10.3168/jds.2007-0319
- Grainger C., Clarke T., Auldist M.J., Beauchemin K.A., McGinn S.M., Waghorn G.C. and Eckard R.J..(2009). Potential use of Acacia mearnsii condensed tannins to reduce methane emissions and nitrogen excretion from grazing dairy cows. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 89 (in press).
- Kelly K. B., Phillips F. A. and Baigent R. (2008) Impact of dicyandiamide application on nitrous oxide emissions from urine patches in northern Victoria, Australia. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 48, 156–159 doi: 10.1071/EA07251
- Li Y., Chen D., Barker-Reid F. and Eckard R.J. (2007). Simulation of N2O emissions from rain-fed wheat and the impact of climate variation in southeastern Australia. Plant and Soil 309:239–251. doi: 10.1007/s11104-008-9672-7
- Livesley S.J., Eckard R.J. and Aarndt S.K. (2008) Nitrous oxide and methane flux in Australian and New Zealand landscapes: measurements, modeling and mitigation – Editorial, Special Edition. Plant and Soil doi: 10.1007/s11104-008-9674-5.
- Phillips F.A., Leuning R., Baigent R., Kelly K.B., Denmead O.T. (2007). Nitrous oxide flux measurements from an intensively managed irrigated pasture using micrometeorological techniques. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 143, 92–105. doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2006.11.011